The annual New Wine and Cheese Festival Budapest takes place in the romantic fairy tale castle of Budapest, the Vajdahunyad Castle in Varosliget (the big City Park by Heroes’ Square Budapest). The event is one of the lesser known festivals in Budapest, which makes it a hidden gem among the Budapest wine events. The New Wine Festival includes a wide range of activities, set both inside the castle and outside on the castle grounds.
The dates of the Budapest New Wine are usually end of November – early December. In 2013 the New Wine and Cheese Festival (Ujbor es Sajt Fesztival) celebrated its 10th anniversary.
- Tasting New Wines: here is your chance to taste the less known wines of Hungary, the local wines of limited editions by professional wine makers. Do not miss the new Furmint wines, the iconic Hungarian wine.
- Tasting Cheeses from Hungary: home made, delicious cheeses from the countryside of Hungary, made from cow milk, goat milk, most typically, with wonderful flavors!
- Wine Fair: needless to say, You can buy the Hungarian new wines and cheeses you find incredibly good
- And the Winner is…. Hungarian New Wine contest: which is the best new wine in Hungary?
- Consecration of the Advent Wine and Cheese: the religious element of the New Wine Festival following the St Martin’s Day events
- Charity in Budapest New Wine Festival: there is always a nice charity fund raising at the festival where you can help a bit those in need.
- Procession of the Hungarian Wine Order members: a nice parade in the wine order uniforms, a sight in itself
- the language of the festival is – mostly – Hungarian
The Vajdahunyad Castle is the home of the Hungarian Agricultural Museum, and a regular festival venue.